Battery Disposal Program
Know Your Batteries and Your Responsibilities
Applying to both Canada and the U.S., a recent survey sponsored by the Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation (RBRC) found that 85 percent of cordless power tools are powered by Nickel Cadmium (Ni-Cd) batteries. The other 15 percent of cordless power tools run on Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) and Small Sealed Lead (Pb) rechargeable batteries.
Return Your Batteries to us for a NO CHARGE Disposal
#1, 1288 - 42 Avenue SE
Calgary Fasterns & Tools
BE PART OF THE SOLUTION
- It is essential that contractors who use these types of cordless tools with rechargeable batteries know the legal responsibilities for their proper disposal. The RBRC survey found that 42 percent of people who owned a cordless power tool did not know that it was powered by a rechargeable battery pack. Due to concerns about the mishandling of used rechargeable batteries, many states and the Federal government have established restrictions on their disposal.
- Under federal law, both Nickel Cadmium and Lead batteries are categorized as "hazardous wastes" when disposed of by businesses above certain quantities. Generally, handling of hazardous wastes requires considerable paperwork and cost. Recognizing the benefits of recycling, however, Federal law exempts these batteries that are sent for recycling from most hazardous waste obligations.
- The Universal Waste Rule prohibits handlers (e.g. contractors) from disposing of used Nickel Cadmium and Lead batteries and further indicates that these batteries must be sent for recycling.
- Florida, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, New Jersey and Vermont, have mandated that battery suppliers implement battery-collection programs.
The RBRC Solution
- In order to assist suppliers and contractors with these requirements, the rechargeable power industry created the Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation and the Charge Up to Recycle! program. RBRC is a non-profit public service organization based in Atlanta, Georgia that operates a public education campaign and battery recycling program in the U.S. and Canada called Charge Up to Recycle! The program was created in 1996 and is now funded by more than 300 manufacturers and marketers of portable rechargeable batteries and products. The RBRC program is an easy and inexpensive solution for contractors looking to meet state and Federal requirements regarding rechargeable batteries.
- RBRC welcomes large and small companies to establish themselves as participants in the Charge Up to Recycle! program. Companies can arrange with RBRC to have Federally-approved battery collection boxes at their place of business no matter how many batteries they turnover each year. In addition to on-site collection, there are more than 30,000 retail locations in North America, such as Ace Hardware, Canadian Tire, Home Hardware, Sears, Orchard Supply, Target, and Wal-Mart that accept rechargeable batteries for recycling. Many communities also offer programs to collect rechargeable batteries for recycling under the RBRC program.
- In January 2001, the Charge Up to Recycle! Program is expanding its current Ni-Cd only program to include the recycling of rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH); Lithium Ion (Li-ion), and Small Sealed Lead batteries (Pb). If it`s rechargeable, it`s recyclable!